The Beardmore Hotel & Conference Centre was delighted to win at the Scottish Hotel Awards 2012:
We are committed to helping to reduce the impact of our activities on the environment. A symbol of this commitment is our membership of the Scottish Tourist Board’s Green Tourism Business Scheme.
We recognise the importance of reducing our impact on the environment. Our commitment to improving energy and water efficiency, reducing, reusing and recycling is carried out at all levels of our business, from employees to guests and suppliers. We endeavour to minimise the adverse impact our operations have on the environment.
A taste of our green credentials
- Green Tourism Gold award;
- low energy lighting has been installed in some areas;
- dedicated environmental working groups;
- recycling, reducing and reusing;
- use of water machines or jugs of fresh water, to minimise water wastage; and
- constantly seeking to improve our environmental performance.
We have made significant efforts to reduce our carbon footprint and the amount of waste that we send to landfall.
Environmental objectives form an integral part of our Business Plan and Environmental Policy.
We aim to become a sustainable hotel through our work in the following areas:
- Paper, cardboard, cans and plastic cups are among the items we recycle.
- Glass is separated into green, brown and clear.
- Plastic cups
- PET – Polyethylene terephthalate
- HDPE – High – density polyethylene
- Our cooking oil is collected by a SEPA registered company and recycled into bio diesel.
Our energy consumption is continually monitored to improve our energy efficiency and have taken the following steps:
- centrally controlled air conditioning in all areas, including guest bedrooms;
- heating and lighting is isolated or switched off in areas that are not being used;
- low level lighting has been installed in some areas.
- motion detectors and PIR systems have been installed in parts of the Hotel.
We ensure that our suppliers are aware of our environmental goals and have their own environmental policies in place. We monitor their performance to ensure the goods and services they provide meet our environmental objectives.
Our guests are happy to help us to sustain the environment.
You can also help by:
- recycling waste by placing these into the recycling box located in the wardrobe;
- use public transport links to reach us;
- turn off your lights, equipment and heating if you’re not in your room; and
- visit our ‘Caring for the environment’ site on the iMac and take part in our ‘Green’ survey.
Our team leaders are actively involved in the Green Team that monitor and review our sustainable environment aims and achievements.
Projects and issues are then assigned to our Green Champion to investigate, achieve and monitor.
Monthly checks are carried out by our Executive team and Green Champion who monitor progress and look for any achievements made in the departments.
For our new staff, the green message is introduced through a staff booklet and through individual training plans.