The Beardmore Hotel & Conference Centre was delighted to win at the Scottish Hotel Awards 2012:
Bouillabaisse Seafood Stew from the Marseille region of France
Serves 4-6 people
- 25ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 white of leek chopped roughly
- 2 celery sticks thinly cut 1 bulb fennel thinly cut
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1gram orange peel
- 300grams tomatoes skinned and chopped
- ¼ Spanish chilli seeded and chopped ¼ teaspoon of saffron strands or powder
- 1 sprig of thyme 1 bay leaf
- 1kilo mixed seafood (monkfish, gunard, red mullet, clams, mussels, large prawns)
- ¼ teaspoon of chopped fennel top pinch of oregano pinch of thyme leaves 1 tablespoon of pernod salt and pepper
- Approx. 4 pints of ready made fish stock
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Fry off the vegetables until soft. Season with salt and black pepper. Add orange zest, saffron, thyme, bay leaf and fish stock. Bring to the boil.
- Add the firmer fish to the pot like the monkfish and gunard. Bring back to the boil for 2-3 minutes. Add other fish then add the shellfish, fennel, herbs, oregano, pernod and thyme leaves
- Remove fish and shellfish carefully into a pasta bowl and keep warm. Strain the cooking liquor, return to the pan, add olive oil and reduce to a concentrate into a broth. Check seasoning.
- Serve with crusty bread.