Challenge winning starter
Chefs' Challenge 2012 Winning Starter
Pan seared scallops, celeriac terrine, pickled girolles and pork crackling popcorn
First make the stock and reduce it to concentrate the flavour before making it into a foam...
Lobster or Langoustine Stock
- 1kg langoustine or lobster heads
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
- 3 sticks of celery, cut into 2cm dice
- 200ml white wine
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 star anise
- 2 litres fish stock
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 100ml olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan on a high heat until almost smoking.
- Add the langoustine heads and sauté for 4-5 minutes until they start to caramelise golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat, place the langoustine heads into a colander and put to one side.
- Return the pan to the heat, add the butter and the chopped vegetables and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the star anis, fennel seeds and coriander seeds to the pan.
- Pour in the white wine and reduce this to a glaze.
- Put the langoustine heads back into the pot and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Add the fish stock, tomatoes and garlic cut in half.
- Allow this to boil for 30-45 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by ⅔.
- Remove from the heat and allow the stock to rest for 1 hour before passing through fine sieve.
- Discard the langoustine heads and chill the stock, or freeze until ready to use.
For the rest of the dish you will need:
Sear in a pan just before serving.
- Chicken stock
Make as layered terrine as if for boulangere potatoes but with finely sliced celeriac layered with finely sliced potato, thyme, chicken stock and seasoning. Press overnight. Cut out with rectangular cutter. Store in fridge and pan fry when needed.
- Air Bag ( Dehydrated Pork Belly )
Pan fry until popped like popcorn.
- 300g small winter girolles
- 300ml classic vinaigrette
Trim the bases of 300g small winter girolles, wash to remove any dirt and pat dry with kitchen towel. Bring vinaigrette to boil in saucepan, when boiling stir in girolles, return to boil then remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in vinaigrette in fridge.
- Langoustine stock
- Semi skimmed milk
Reduce stock with saffron to make intense saffron stock. Combine with other ingredients to make foam with hand blender.
Assemble dish as shown in photograph above and enjoy!